September 11, 2008

Sweet Pee (Not Sweet Pea)

Yesterday, my son, Henry, did the sweetest thing ever. It was with urine. That's right. (Notice how I didn't put "sweet" and "urine" together in the same sentence? I don't think you're supposed to do that.) (Also, how many people will stumble across this post by Googling "sweet urine"?) (Another also, why so many parenthesis so early in this post?)

Anyway, back to the urine. If I had a dime for every time I've said that before...

Henry, like many males, enjoys peeing outdoors. More importantly, he likes to pee outdoors ON objects. His favorites right now are tires, rocks, off bridges and into a big flower pot in our yard. His peeing on the stray shrub or tree phase passed so quickly.
Those few moments right before Henry has to pee are the wildest. He'll stop whatever he's doing and exclaim, "I have to pee in the pot!" From then, it's a dash out the door, into the yard so he can relieve himself. At first, he was a straight shooter. He'd just aim for the center of the pot and go. Lately, this doesn't give him much satisfaction. He's had to change it up.

Yesterday morning, he grabbed me with excitement and yelped that he had to pee in the pot. We did our thing, running outside, finding his favorite mark. As I stood behind him and watched him go, I noticed his little hips had kind of a swing to them. He was moving back and forth and kind of talking to himself. When he was all finished, Henry called me in closer. "Look, Mommy, I made an 'H' for you."
Although there wasn't a definite "H" scrawled in the dirt, I give the kid props for trying. I teared up a little as I looked at that pot full of pee. I give him high artistic marks, but he still needs work on the execution. I'm so proud of my little man. Him and and his peeing prowess.


P.S. Peeing Prowess would be an awesome album name.
P.P.S. Yes, I took a picture of pee. If Captain Dumbass can snap a picture of a guy riding a toilet, I see no problem with urine.
P.P.P.S. Blissfully Caffeinated has peeing on her agenda lately too.

21 comments:

Sherendipity said...

I must be a horrible Mother, the only thing I ever let my kid pee in was the toilet.
:P

HeatherPride said...

I'm sure if Logan peed outside in my neighborhood I'd have a letter from the homeowner's association before he was zipped up. BUT, when we go to Pappy's house (my parents)? It's ON! There's not a bush, flower or tree within a half acre that doesn't get a dose of the sweet pee.

for a different kind of girl said...

If there are two things that make my heart sing, it is peeing and paranthesis. This was a jackpot post! Also, your son is adorable!

Captain Dumbass said...

It's a guy thing. Has he had the chance to pee in snow yet? Oh, good times, good times.

Ali said...

i would totally take a picture of the pee too ;)

The Stiletto Mom said...

ok...ADORABLE. He peed a letter for you...I love the hips moving around to make it happen. I totally had a pee story cued up, gonna have to go on the back burner for a few weeks now. :)

Anonymous said...

Personally, I love parentheses. they are my favorite punctuation. And I was laughing my as off by the end of the first paragraph.

A few weeks ago I was babysitting my nephew and I happened to look out in the backyard to see him watering our plants with his own personal, um, water hose.

I have two girls. No boys. And no clue what to do about my nephew letting it all hang out in the backyard. So I just let him do his business and when I questioned him about it, he said his Dad (my brother) lets him pee outside all the time. I guess boys (and grown men) love to pee outside. It was all new to me.

Going now so I can type "sweet urine" into Google.

Kat said...

It must be a boy thing. I remember my brother making up reasons that he had to pee outside when we were kids. I now have two little girls and they are happy with the potty thankfully. I don't know what I would do with a little boy. If it ever happens I am calling you for advise.

Anonymous said...

OK, I wasn't laughing my "as" off. That would be grammatically impossible. I was laughing my ass off.

LiteralDan said...

Can you be MY mom??? I wanna pee on a potted plant!!

Anonymous said...

Dear God,
Please make sure I only have girls.
Love,
Jen
PS- Just girls, kay?

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have a 4-year-old DAUGHTER and she LOVES peeing outside. Everywhere.

Only instead of a pot, her pee goes in her shoe.

Mama Dawg said...

Sigh......I have to practically beg my daughter to pee outside when we're where there's no toilet.

Bee said...

I'm assuming whatever was in that pot is now dead? ;o)

PAPATV said...

When I was younger I was lucky enough to share a bedroom with my brother in the basement. The basement had a subpump which is a midwestern thing. I'm not even sure what it does. It's a swirling circle of water and an excellent place to pee when it's 3:43 am and the nearest bathroom is upstairs.

JuleeSLC said...

That boy's got skills.

Anndi said...

Too cute... how confused to you think the neighborhood dogs are going to be now?

JuleeSLC said...

Hi Jenn, Lee here posting for Julee since I feel I am MUCH more qualified on the topic of outdoor peeing.
Dont worry about Henry's lack of spelling skills, they will greatly improve with the addition of snow!

Eternal Sunshine said...

Oh good - Mine aren't the only ones who do this. My oldest used to get off the couch, announce he had to pee, and head for the back door. Since he was my first, this freaked me out. Now, when mine tell me they have to go inside to pee, I just tell them to go find an anthill. (My dad told them that peeing on the anthills kills the ants.)

The Stiletto Mom said...

Jen,

Are you finished with your laundry yet? I'm bored. Please come back.

xoxo
the stiletto mom

Mary Anna said...

My son (also 3 soon to be 4) loves to pee outside. He likes to pee on the grove of trees to the left side of the yard - but not the grove on the right. However, he will pee on the cactus in the right-side grove. Weird. He also likes to brush his teeth outside. Some mornings, it's the only way to get it done.