April 30, 2008

Free Ride

Wednesday, Henry, Reesie and I joined Aunt Kimberly and the cousins for a free train ride on the new Frontrunner. (I typed in in italics because that make words look fast) UTA was hosting three days of free train service and we thought we were so clever to go on the very last day, during work hours. Turns out, we aren't that clever after all.

I'm not sure why, but I thought that only commuters would use the train. There were so many joy riders. I guess that's what you get when it's a freebee promotion.

So anyway, the six of us waited for the train with such high hopes. Not even a little cool weather could get in the way of our adventure. Here, the cousins huddled up to discuss their plans for the train ride. If Kimberly and I would have been paying closer attention, I think we would have overheard the following: "Let's just play it cool for a little while. Once we get to Salt Lake, let's turn the tables on the grownups. Oh, also, it is so important that the three of us switch seats every two minutes."


See how innocent they look now? Don't be fooled.


Henry and half of my face huddled together to keep warm.


Reesie
was in a cocoon of blankets. She didn't mind the wait at all.

Izzy was cold. She told us so.


Zoe wrapped herself in a blanket. She did not like the cold. She told us so.


Henry began to give up hope that the train would ever get to us.


He looked up the track for a train.


Then he looked down the track. Yay! He spotted one!


The cousins declared this their favorite train. It was the only train. Cousins, you are so easy.

When we boarded the train, all I could see were so many moms with their kids (cute) and lots and lots of elderly folks (even cuter). The first few stops, we had to stand near the doors because it was so crowded.

Zoe, Henry, look out the window, please.


Now look at me.


I checked on Reesie to see if she was doing alright. This was her face once she felt the motion of the train.


She warmed up to the ride quickly.


I noticed a guy standing next to us checking out Reesie. He told me that he thought my "little baby boy" was cute. I snapped, "She is a girl. And yes, she's very cute." He went on to say that since she was in green that he assumed she was a boy. Hmm. A green jogging suit with flowers, bows and butterflies all over it? What was he smoking? Oh, snap. After further inspection of that guy, I actually think he had been smoking something. My bad.

Here's Reesie giving old "Panama Red" the evilest eye she can.

She's not too good at giving the stink eye.

Shortly after our next stop, I muscled my way to the middle of the car and tried to save us some seat room next to a harmless looking man. He had a small child with him as well and I thought he'd be cool. He was concerned that we would be taking up too much space with our kids. Whatever, dude.

So I spied two open seats that faced each other just up a few rows and jumped on those. Once we got the strollers and all the kiddies settled I looked over and that "cool looking guy" was scrunched up in the corner. Sitting next to him were a bunch people that looked like they hadn't showered in a while. They were all talking very loudly and reaching across him trading phones and iPods. Also, sitting next to him was some older, larger fguy holding what looked like a 40 ouncer wrapped up in a paper bag. He sipped on it frequently. And after every sip, he would let out a loud, "Ahh".

Karma, dude. Don't ever tell a mother that she can't sit by you.

Here's Izzy comfortably stretched out enjoying her Spider Man fruit snacks whilst riding on the train.


Here's Zoe trying to be comfortable but she's got a 35 lb. blonde growth coming out of her lap.


Whoops. It looks like that "growth" is mobile.


There it is again.


Other things we saw? A bridge.


Nature.


Zoe, really close up.


I noticed a confused look on Henners' face. He was looking at the window and clearly something was troubling him.


I turned around to see what was so troubling to my son. Turns out it was Ogden. I totally understand the face, Henners. Ogden.


Other things we saw, but were unable to document, was a Grandma saving two seats for her family. She got into a squabble with an Asian lady who looked just like Miss Swan from Mad TV (pictured below). She wanted those seats too and let the Grandma know she was pretty upset about all the seat saving. I'm pretty sure some Chinese swears were coming from her lips.


We also sat by a group of elderly folks that were just along for a joy ride. A lady, who was clearly the leader, and self appointed tour guide of that group, would take time to point out all the LDS Temples along the route. Seems nice enough, but the so called "Temples" were just LDS ward meeting houses along the way. Oh, well, the rest of her group weren't from around here sothey were facinated.

Later, the kids received a mini sugar high from the four M&Ms that I rationed to each of them. Henry decided to show off his superior shadow boxing skills. I think he scared the crap out of Isabella and Zoe. He's such a boy.

Henry was intrigued by the refinery in North Salt Lake. He was grossed out by the smell. He asked me who farted. I told him that the smeller was the feller. He then said loudly, "It's okay, you guys. Smeller farted!"
Here's Henry after the M&Ms wore off.


Pretty soon, the commute began to break the little guy down. All the seat changing the cousins had been doing was starting to make Henners tired.


All of Henry's hugging was making Zoe tired.

When we finally rolled to our stop, I heard the sweetest words ever. Words that I thought I'd never be dying to hear..."Ladies and Gentlemen, you are now in Clearfield." So Awesome.

This was me on the way home from the three hour excursion.


This was Henry moments after he strapped himself in his car seat. Precious, tired little manster.


Here's Reesie just moments after arriving home. She actually looks refreshed!

Let's double check that. Yep. She's refreshed. She's always so happy.


Thanks, for the free ride UTA. It was weird, fun and kind of adventure. Just like Jeremy!

No comments: