July 11, 2008

The Friday Five

So, I’m toying with an idea for this blog. I think I might start posting a list of five things that are on the top of my mind every Friday. They could be a list of things about me, about Jeremy or the kids, things bugging me or things I’m grateful for at the moment. I hope this can become a regular feature. Now don’t go thinking I’m all creative, because a lot of bloggers do this and I promise they do it better. Also, notice I am not planning on publishing ‘The Friday Fifteen’. I don’t aspire to lofty goals.

This week, my ‘Friday Five’ will be five things that you may not know about me. I guess, this week if you buy the first five, I’m throwing in one for free. After all, I already disclosed that I don’t aspire to lofty goals.

Well, here goes. Five things you may not know about me:

1. I don’t like talking on the phone. It’s just unnecessary. I think there was a brief period between 1986 and 1991 that I absolutely lived and died by the thing. But not now. Maybe my hatred for the phone dates back to the fact that my parents wouldn’t let me have a personal phone in my room. They insisted they were looking out for my best interest. I think they just wanted to eavesdrop. I kid. I kid.

Most of my phone conversations are under four minutes. Anything longer than that, I start to lose concentration. Also, if I call you, unsolicited just to chat, know that I really, really, REALLY like you. I have close, dear friends that I don’t talk to on the phone, ever.

I’ve gotten better about my phone phobia recently. Rozzie lovingly pointed out that I was not being a good phone friend. I have worked diligently over the past year to call the people I love/like more frequently. Roz even gave me a few suggestions for phone calls. She told me to start slowly and say things like, “That’s interesting, tell me more.” Or “What have you been doing lately?” She insists that eventually I could work up to more specific questions like, “What music are you into now?” She claims that by using this technique, I’m bound to draw the other person out more and I won’t have to do so much talking.

So, feel free to call me. I may just drop newly learned phone skills on you.

2. I don’t hate the Boston Red Sox as much as I tell you I do. I know, as a Yankee Fan since the 1980’s, I should have a hatred for the Bosox, but I just don’t. What can I say, me loves me some Manny Ramirez.

However, if you corner me on this or bring it up in mixed company (BTW: mixed company is anyone who isn’t a Yankee fan or someone that has a fondness for the Cubbies), I will deny, deny, deny.

3. I am nervous to meet you. Let me clarify. I’m nervous to meet up at a pre-arranged location where we both drive separate cars. Will you be waiting for me in the parking lot? Will you be inside? What if you come in a different door? Will we miss each other? What if you’ve drastically changed your hair and I don’t recognize you? Will parking be a hassle? What if I’m late? What if you’re late?

Those are only the questions rolling around in my head while you and I are talking, making arrangements to meet. Can you image what’s going though my head on the drive over?

Know that the huge smile I give you when we finally DO meet up at the pre-arranged location is one part ‘I’m so glad to see you’ and one part ‘Thank-goodness-that-mini-panic-attack-I-just-had-getting-here is now OVER!’

4. I like to go to movies alone. Don’t get me wrong, I really WOULD like to go to the movies with you, but sometimes I just like to go alone. When Jeremy gives me some time off from my motherly duties, I will usually nap or try to figure out how to squeeze a movie in alone.

5. I have a favorite checker at WalMart. Her name is Margaret. She typically works in the checkout lane that sells tobacco so her line is usually longer than most. But I really think she’s friendly and I will stand a longer in her line to just have small talk time with her.

Margaret’s line just so happens to be the one that stores all the boxes of gum that is waiting to be put out for display. After seeing her so often, she has learned that Henry likes a particular type of gum. She goes through a big production of going back and getting him a pack of gum right from the box even if we don’t ask her to. She hands it to him and says the same thing every time, “Enjoy it, little guy!”

Henry thinks she’s given him such a treat. Of course, what he doesn’t know is that I’M the one buying it and I’M the one that chews most of it.

No comments: